June 29, 2010

{ the kitchen: in the beginning }

When we bought our condo almost 3 years ago, (eesh! Has it really been THAT long?) I was so thrilled to have a kitchen large enough that more than one person could actually fit in it at one time.  Now, keep in mind that our condo is NOT huge (only about 1300 sqare feet.), and the kitchen itself is only about 500 square feet.  But compared to the teensy basement apartment we had lived in -- it felt like a mansion!

Here is what our kitchen looked like when we bought the house:
(pic from previous owners)
I know it's terrible quality.  Please forgive me.  When we took these pics, I didn't realize I would ever need to refer back to them.  Oh, how wrong I was!
Before we moved in, we painted all the walls in our house a yummy toasty tan - just to get rid of the stark builder's-white paint that was there (and to cover up some other rooms in the house...but that's a story for later!).

After moving in, our kitchen turned into this:

and this:

I have loved the dark brown in there, but sadly, it's going to have to go.  Not all the way, but it's definitely getting changed up.  I have big plans for our condo come fall time.  We will be doing a major overhaul (I seriously can't wait for it!  Squeal!)

  I am trying to convince my hubbs to let us do a backsplash -- three years of just a painted wall is MORE than enough -- but I have been unsuccessful so far.  He seems to think there are plenty of other projects already in the works without starting another huge one.  pssshaa!  Does he not know me at all?

Overall, I think the paint transformed this little space quite a bit.  It always amazes me how much a little paint cant change the look of a room -- easiest & cheapest too!

What about you?  Any rooms in your house that you've fixed up with just a little bit of paint?  Even if it's something you know you're going to change later -- paint makes SUCH a difference, and I'd love to see your projects!

3 comments:

cherry said...

Happy 4th to you and yours!
hugs from Savannah, Cherry

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Fun to see the photos with 3 different paint colors... always amazing how paint changes a space... can't wait to see your plans in the fall.

Maggie said...

Good luck with your kitchen project - we're just wrapping up our renovation, it's been almost 3 months with A LOT of long nights but it has been so worth it.