January 1, 2011

What a way to start the new year!

Today was one of THOSE days. I had so much planned and was so excited to get a ton of stuff done- finally! I guess I was a little too excited, because in my haste, I tripped on the last step. Not a huge deal (besides the blow to my pride), except that I was holding my two-year old daughter in one arm and carrying groceries and a brand new can of paint in the other. As I fell, I quickly weighed out my options in my head...option A: fall onto my tiny daughter, or option B: drop the bags (paint) and catch us both. Option B quickly won out and everything seemed to be okay, until I picked up the bag the can on paint was in and quickly realized it was dripping everywhere. When I'd dropped my bag, the paint had hit the corner of the stair at just the right angle to pop the lid off so black paint was pouring everywhere. To make matters worse, it was -13 degrees outside, which caused the paint to freeze almost instantly. So not cool. Ben (because he's super sweet and nice, took pity on me and cleaned it all up- which took him over and hour and multiple trips up and down three fligts of stairs with pitchers of boiling water(cause he had to melt the frozen paint first and then clean it up). I know, what a great guy, huh? Yeah, I totally owe him. So between that and multiple trips to the home improvement store trying to get the right color of paint for Broox's nursery (yeah, he's still in our room cause we have had zero time to finish his), and taking care of two kids, plus trying to get the house put back together after the holidays... let's just say, my list didn't get done. I guess thats okay...the important things were taken care of: the kids were loved on, played with, fed, bathed. And I got a sweet and humbling reminder that my husband loves me so much that he's willing to go clean up my messes in -13 degree weather and not once complain or make me feel guilty about it because, "accidents happen". Even though my list didn't get checked off, now that I think about it, it wasn't a bad day at all. Besides, it's only 8:30, the night's still young, right?

No comments: